Friday, January 24, 2014

Tilda's Blue and Brown Celebration (and a ribbon flower tutorial)

Good morning, Really Reasonable Ribbon fans!  
Today I have a card to share with you along with a little tutorial.
Originally, I had a birthday card in mind when I made this, but I left the sentiment off because it could also be used to celebrate the birth of a little boy...or any kind of celebration for that matter.  
Anyhow, on the the goods...first I will give you a peek at my completed card, then I will show you how I made that flower out of some gorgeous ribbon.
And a close-up of that flower:
And while I'm at it, how about a shot of that stack of perfectly made (using the Bow-It-All from Zutter) bows:

Now, how did I make that flower?  Let me see if I can explain.  This would definitely be easier in a video tutorial, but I haven't gotten brave enough to try that out yet.
1.  Start out with (5) 3 1/4" to 3 1/2" pieces of ribbon.  It's to make sure that they are all very close to the same size so that when you're finished your flower petals will be all the same size.  Mine are all 3 1/4".

2.  Fold your ribbon, making sure that the ends are pretty evenly spaced on each side.
3.  Pinch the ribbon in that center section that crosses over, then fold the tail that's facing right over top of your index finger.

 4.  Be sure to match up the edges closely to each other.  This will form a better looking point in your finished flower. 

5.  Remove your index finger from the fold, again being careful not to move the edges of the ribbon out of place.  You end up with a pointed arrow, like this:

6.  Sew a running stitch across the bottom.  I like to use 3 full stitches because it gives me that little pop in the center of each petal, which looks the most natural to me.

7.  Continue with all 5 petals.


8.  Cut a small circle out of cardstock and glue your petals down the way you'd like.

That's all there is to it!  Easy peasy!  
Hope you enjoyed this little tutorial and that I was clear enough for you to understand.
Supplies:
Ribbons and Trim:
 Silky Crush Antique Gold Ribbon
Baker's Twine Brown Sugar 
Satin with Grosgrain Edge Blue Topaz 
1.5" Champagne Netting 
1/4" Chevron Striped Twill Light Blue 
 
DP:   Ella Blue from GCD

StampMagnolia Tilda Sparkles

4 comments :

  1. That is so cool! What a great way to make a flower!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful card thanks for the flower tutorial have a great weekend

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh dear... What a lovely card. And also LOVE the flower tutorial. They look as if they will be not too difficult. But very pretty !!! Thanks a lot for sharing your talents with us.
    Hugs from SPAIN

    ReplyDelete
  4. Darling card and a fabulous tutorial! I've been wanting to try my hand at these, and now I have a great step by step to help me do just that! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear what you have to say